To ensure the orderly, economical and beneficial development of land, Development Permits are needed in the County.

The Land Use Bylaw includes details to control and prohibit development without infringing on the rights of individuals except to the extent that the overall public good must be protected. Controls on construction setbacks from property lines, site coverage, landscaping, and business activities on a property all fit within the municipality’s scope of ensuring the public is protected.

For more information as to whether or not a Development Permit is needed, or to find out more details about obtaining a Development Permit click here.

The county does not enforce provincial building codes but instead chooses to leave that up to the private sector.  The Municipal Planning Commission decides on any special circumstances requested and uses their discretion for the betterment of the community.  Citizens unhappy with these decisions can appeal them to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.

Country Residential House Construction








Do you have a small business, or looking to start one?  Here is where you find Provincial information. Receive answers to your small business questions within one business day by contacting a Business Advisor at the Link, online at  or toll free at 1.844.422.7705